Name your inner hobbit

March 05, 2004

At dinner tonight the toddler and I were "filling in around the corners" - having a little bite of this and a little bite of that as we properly pack our bellies for the long haul - hours at least - until the next meal.

I realized that what we were doing was filling our inner hobbit, the little man in your belly (or woman in your belly - everyone has one) who wants to know what happened to second breakfast? what are we having for tea? did you hear about what happened to my cousin's wife's great aunt's daughter? and what do you mean the beer comes in Pints!

I don't know what the toddler has named his inner hobbit, but mine has a name - Mortimer Stoutbuttons. I have long had a name for my tummy (some people name their sexual organs, but I know where MY priorities are) and called it Mortimer. Stoutbuttons is a fine hobbitish name and the usual surname for halflings and hobbits that I play in games. So, Mortimer Stoutbuttons it is.

What is the name of your inner hobbit?

Posted by Red Ted at March 5, 2004 08:31 AM | TrackBack
Comments

I told my Inner Hobbit to take a hike, last September. :)

Posted by: Me. at March 7, 2004 02:44 AM

No, Fat Chick is the superego, the mother, the one who does not want the tricksy hobbitses getting their tricksy Inner Hobbitses ways.

However. Now that I think about it, I do have a name for my Inner Hobbit: Snacky Snackerson. As in: "I can't quit friggin' snacking! I am Snacky Snackerson today!"

Posted by: Me. at March 8, 2004 02:13 AM

I rather like that.

The toddler's inner hobbit is TumTum. The historical TumTum, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII of England, hated the nickname his friends laid on him. I hope the toddler never gets quite as Taftian as Albert Edward.

Posted by: Red Ted at March 8, 2004 08:23 AM

A person can also be Smokey Smokerson, Sleepy Sleeperson, Hunky Hunkerson, or whatever. Just Verby Verberson -- it is universal.

Sometimes I use Verb Verberton, if Verby Verberson sounds odd to me at the time.

Posted by: Me at March 8, 2004 10:05 AM

Are you sure your inner hobbit is not called "Fat Chick?"

I think the toddler's inner hobbit is TumTum, although his appears and disappears as he goes through growth spurts - he grows like an inchworm, first out and then up.

Posted by: Red Ted at March 8, 2004 12:57 PM

I'd never thought of naming her. Snarky Potterburger, I think.

Posted by: Melanie at March 9, 2004 08:46 AM

I do not have an inner hobbit, but there is a demon who lives in my belly. His name is Zool.

Posted by: John Payne at March 11, 2004 10:17 AM