Baby names we won't see soon

May 23, 2005

I am working with the Post Office and the Sabbatarian controversy of 1810-1817, and one of the major players is Postmaster General Return J. Meigs.

My random thought for the moment is that while there are a fair number of goofy baby names being used these days, and while some of the new goofy baby names are attempts to conjure up the pre-industrial past, we are unlikely to see many new babies named Return any time soon. I blame the commercial culture of America.

Posted by Red Ted at May 23, 2005 02:16 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Seventeenth century names are just as good. Eg, Praise-God Barebones (as in the Barebones Parliament). Some less famous Puritan examples in this article: http://www.glenncourt.com/words/stuff_puritannames.shtml)

And it's not just the puritans: don't forget Sir Julius Caesar (the Oxford DNB has two of them in fact, the well-known judge in the early 17th century and a composer towards the end)...

Posted by: sharon at May 24, 2005 04:28 AM

Never fear, the women of America are out there trying to goofy up the nomenclature pool...
is one of my favorites.

Posted by: LeeAnn at May 24, 2005 10:56 AM

I completely buggered up the supposed to be there link... smack me silly.
"Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing."
Sorry, Ted.

Posted by: LeeAnn at May 24, 2005 10:57 AM

I have to admit, I looked at that web page back when we were looking for names for the littler man and, well, her outrage meter and my outrage meter ding on different things.

Many of her horror names were not so bad in my book, and she liked some that I despised.

Then again, I tried to convince J to let us name the littler man Norbert (a family name) so my taste may be off by a little.

p.s., I lost that argument. The litter man is neither Norbert nor Martinus.

Posted by: Ted K at May 24, 2005 12:05 PM

You can't be 22541 serious?!?

Posted by: Mary Box at July 7, 2006 03:01 PM