Posting Priorities

March 06, 2004

I am a little frustrated with the blog right now. Why? I have some good ideas for big think pieces: two on body types continuing my earlier discussion, riffing off of the NYT article on the clothing size survey and riffing off my decision to rejoin a gym; one on why some people look at Iraq and resolve to support GWB, others look at Iraq and resolve that he is a miserable failure as a war president; and one on my new meme of Saturday Garden blogging.

However, my A time goes to writing my real stuff, my B time goes to household tasks and baby wrangling, and in my C time I can only write little things like what you have seen over the last few days.

And so to revise a few pages about anti-Catholicism in the 1830s while the kids sleep.

Perhaps I will write one of the above as a study break next time I get stuck.

Posted by Red Ted at March 6, 2004 12:22 PM | TrackBack
Comments

At least give linkage to the NYT article re: Clothing Size...?

Posted by: Me. at March 7, 2004 02:45 AM

well basically the article notes that the clothing industry is redoing its size survey. surprise! americans are fatter!

the average woman was once a size 8. then a decade ago, a size 12. now a size 14.

in the 50s, a size 8 was quite small. over the last 60 years or so, as americans have grown a little taller due to better nutrition, etc. clothing patterns have changed. but not enough to keep up with the vanity of americans apparently!

if you look at old sewing magazines, you'll see once a size 12 meant a 32 or 34 inch bust. but now americans are taller, heavier, and quite a few have breast implants.

for example, i am a 36-27-37 and roughly 5 foot 8. if the dress has an a-line skirt, i easily wear a 6. in a more narrow cut, an 8. in italian metric sizing, i will take a 40.

i have somewhat broad shoulders, and this can be a problem with european designer clothes -- not the hips, but the shoulders!

however, in old patterns from 50 years ago, i would be huge, a 14!

some say mainstream clothing companies are making size 14 clothes, but labelling them 10, to appeal to americans' vanity.

i find the opposite actually; at upscale department stores, the clothing is getting smaller and smaller. now they even sell negative sizes, smaller than 0!

Posted by: frelkins at March 7, 2004 11:18 AM

Sizing Up America: Signs of Expansion is the article.

Posted by: Red Ted at March 8, 2004 12:11 PM

I am reading this article and getting a i'm-gonna-get-sick look on my face. Why does this make me so anxious?

Posted by: Me. at March 8, 2004 12:37 PM