Baby Cthullu

February 24, 2004

J wants to name our daughter Cthullu.

Actually, she started getting cold feet right after she suggested the name, but the name is still going down on the long list in case we decide to go for number three.

Why Cthullu? Well, I guess I teased her into it. We were talking about the abstract possibility of going for three (with number two 10 days old, that is all it was - an abstract possibility) and I pointed out that we have used family names and we have used Biblical names but we do not yet have a child with a literary name. Galadriel would be a good name for a daughter.

She would rather have a Cthullu.

After I started thinking about it, I liked it. We could take the horrible pink sweater someone gave us (modelled by the bear in the extended entry) and embroider Cthullu on one lapel in a slightly darker shade of pink. She would always stand out in a crowd. She would have an instant cultural literacy test to use on her teachers and her friends. What's not to like about having a beautiful baby Cthullu in the house?

Then J got cold feet.

She is afraid that none of our friends would want to spend time around a baby named Cthullu. Some of them would squick at the thought of calling Cthullu to dinner on a regular basis, others don't like to speak the names of demons in any context. After further review, she will save the first name Cthullu for a pet, probably a drooling bulldog.

But that is OK, because I want to have a bulldog someday.

Here is the toddler's bear modelling the pink sweater for Cthullu.

A yellow bear in a pink sweater

Posted by Red Ted at February 24, 2004 10:24 AM | TrackBack
Comments

Well, let's hope that if you do decide to go for baby #3 and it turns out to be a girl, that you both will have moved on from the name Cthullu. It's kind of cute, but for all the teasing it would bring, it's totally not worth it. Well that's just my opinion...

Posted by: Ursula at February 24, 2004 06:33 AM

How about Elinor, Jane, or Meg? Lovely.

Cthulu is... well, the poor girl would get a lot of "What *were* your parents thinking??" :P

Me.

Posted by: Me. at February 24, 2004 11:49 AM

I've always though "Charon" would be a good one.

Though it is probably grounds for justified parenticide.

Posted by: Fred at February 25, 2004 09:50 AM

I've been thinking about "Elinor" since yesterday. If my Future Husband objects to Kathryn, I'm going with Elinor. It's perfect! But no - not Ellie ... Ella. Ohhh yeah. Great name! I'm so going with that.

Posted by: Me at February 25, 2004 11:05 AM

Nemesis would indeed be a grand baby name, as would Hekate or any of the furies (what were their given names anyhow?)

For the folks from radio weblogs, yes I did indeed forget to spell-check Cthulhu.

I would make a joke about how when I tried to run His name through the spell checker, it regressed the software to a screaming pile of primordial ooze, but that would be trite.

Posted by: Red Ted at February 27, 2004 01:10 AM

How about "Nemesis," the Greek goddess of righteous anger? That'll make the soccer moms chuckle nervously.....

Posted by: Dave at February 27, 2004 11:35 AM

You can't name your daughter Cthulhu.

That's a boy's name.

Try Shub-Niggurath.

Posted by: DFH at March 2, 2004 05:52 AM

Nonsense, girls are taking lots of boys names away from them: Madison, Tyler, Sean (Shawn), Robin, Cthulhu - there is a common pattern there.

Posted by: Red Ted at March 2, 2004 11:29 AM